Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Better choices and the water controversery...

My hubs spent about five hours yesterday helping an older (70) friend with his computer. It needed to be cleaned up, defragged, new mouse and things like that. This sweet gentleman insisted that DH take something for his time and pressed a $20.00 bill into his hand...

So, today we went out to lunch at our favorite (sit down, but still casual) restaurant. It's a BBQ joint, really, but they have great chicken sandwiches, as well as burgers. During the lunchtime hour they have a "country buffet". Twice recently I have ordered the buffet, knowing that I would eat too much of it's yummy greasy goodness. We are talking "grease enhanced" home fries with onions, cheese laden broccoli casserole baked until the once healthy broccoli is so mushy you can hardly recognize it, green beans simmered for hours ( in animal fat, I'm sure), slabs of rib eye, cooked until you can't even get the bite to stay on the fork...that kind of thing.

If you are truly a country girl, you know what I'm talking about. If you aren't, you are certainly correct in gasping at this description and wondering if knowledgeable adults really eat like this. This is how I was raised and why I have problems with food, but that is another post for another day.

Today, I ordered and enjoyed and was satiated by a very nice house salad with dressing on the side, a grilled burger (with no bread or mayo) and unsweetened tea with lemon. I feel good, no indigestion from fried onions and no bloating from whatever they put into that casserole. I also feel good about making a better choice. Sometimes substituting a food that is even only slightly healthier, is a good way to get started on the road to better health and weight loss.

What's up with all the differing opinions of water intake? When I Googled "how much water do I really need" the number of results were staggering. 4,350,000.... ok, now I know that you need to be more precise in a computer search, but it makes you wonder. I think that water intake is a very personal issue. Staying hydrated is extremely important for all the body's systems to work efficiently. I am not trying to say otherwise, I'm just saying that in addition to coffee, tea, an occasional soda, and perhaps some milk, I just don't feel that I need to try to consume 64 ounces of water. If I am doing some type of a cleanse, or am working out, then I try to consume the suggested amounts of water.

I really don't think that water is a magic potion for weight loss. If that were so, there would be few overweight folks in this country. All this being said, we really do have to customize our eating and drinking habits, to fit our individual needs. If you are unable to do this on your own, then you may need the help of a nutritionist or perhaps you want to check out a holistic healing website. Whatever you decide to do, do it as intelligently as possible. Do your research and don't just following blindly whatever trend is in vogue now.

Well, it's Tuesday and I haven't done any exercise. I need to get in the groove. Hopefully, after vacation, I will find time and motivation to workout. Hmmm...sounds like another excuse to me. When will I learn? Well, baby steps for me. Salad and burger vs. country buffet? I'm happy with today's choices.

Take care of yourself and check back soon for more rants and raves and a little motivation.

4 comments:

Everwild said...

Jon and I fall back to the "everything in moderation" rule when we eat out. Most of our dinners out are shared and, for the most part, I think this is usually the right amount of food, healthy or not so hot. First, it's kinda romantic to share, and second, it reinforces eating less without having to deny myself every scrap of unhealthy food.

I'm sorry I don't have the source anymore, but I read an article last year which totally debunked the whole 64 oz. of water a day myth. One just needs to stay hydrated, including coffee, tea, juices (not so much). I've taken to cutting my full-strength juices in half with water. It lowers the sugar intake, and I don't spend an exorbitant amount of time running to the bathroom. It seems I manage to stay hydrated.

Kims Art said...

Eating out is one of my problems. We just had a Golden Coral open and let me tell you it is sooooo good, but we went out last night and I did the salad bar. I felt so much better about myself. I think we need to have a weigh-in day. Maybe Friday or Monday.(What day do you like) Getting on the scale will help us to stay motivated and we can tell how much we have lost each Friday. Oh yea, we need to do the measuring thing also, just in case we lose inches and not pounds. I do not have any scales, so tomorrow I need to get one. I really do not like those things! I guess I will just have to suck it up. I need to up the water myself. I drink coffee with cream and equal. To cut back on sugar, like in sweet tea use 1/2 sugar and finish with Equal. It might taste funny at first, but not for long. I do the same thing everwild does with the juice, you get used to that also. It is hard to drink juice full strengh after doing it for awhile.

Susan said...

Hey Gals, I agree with Kim that we should weigh in. I weighed myself yesterday (Monday) as I am sometimes inclined to over eat on the weekend if I weigh myself on Friday, but I'm flexible. The tape measure will become our friend also. Let me know and we'll go for it.

I like the idea of cutting the juice with water, juice messes with my tummy sometimes, so I am going to try that trick.

Kims Art said...

Monday sounds good to me! I am going out today to purchase a good scale. This is really going to be a good thing, because of the work we do it is easy to get lost in the art and forget about taking care of ourselves. I know just speaking for myself, my mind is going in so many directions, it seems like eating right is the last thing I want to think about. I think I'll start a blog for this also. LOL! That way it will keep my mind on the goal