Monday, September 29, 2008

First Day of New Blog

This is the first post of my new blog. My mother was always concerned with and sometimes consumed by her weight. I got that tendency from her. I am starting this blog in an effort to monitor my current weight loss journey. There is a new fitness center being built in my neighborhood. It will be complete one year from now. I want to be in better shape, healthier and slimmer before I go.

I will be posting pictures of myself, along with my age, stats and food journals along the way. I sometimes wonder if I am too old, to lose weight.

I am 5'4-3/4" so that puts me in the petite category. When I circle my wrist with my fingers, they overlap-so that puts me in the small frame category. With that being said, I have to be honest about the following stats and admit that I am overweight... according to my height and weight, my BMI is 30,( it should be 20-25) which is considered "moderately overweight" on the site I am using. Another site lists that as borderline obese. Either way, it needs to be addressed.

Age 55
Weight 179 Measurements are as follows: Bust 41
Waist 38
Hips 46-1/2

Currently my goal is to lose 40 pounds in one year, slightly less than 1 pound per week. I used to be able to skip a meal here and there and lose five pounds over the weekend. Those days are over. I have to be accountable for what I eat and how many calories I burn on a daily basis.

I have developed some irksome symptoms. They are similar to acid reflux. So in addition to trying to lose weight, I have to do this eating foods that don't cause reflux symptoms. These symptoms are supposed to lessen when...you guessed it, I lose the extra pounds.

I worked out yesterday using my Slim in Six plan. I did a modified version of the Ramp It Up. It is still pretty hard. I am thinking of getting the DVD "Big Yoga" which is yoga geared for larger folks. Has anyone heard of it? Let me know.

That's all for now. I'll be back later with some more info. Take care of yourself. Your deserve it.

3 comments:

Kims Art said...

I will join you on this journey. Maybe it will help me to be more motivated. I have diabetes( heredity), so I am always trying to do better. I need to up my activity. I always start out with a bang and then I slowly go back to my old ways. All of my health issues would be helped by taking better care of myself through diet and exercise, so count me in! What are you talking about, too old?

Susan said...

Welcome Aboard Kim! I, also, do really good for about 3 weeks, then fall back into old ways. We will help each other through these times. I have a fondness for sugar and since I don't do artificial sweeteners, I am hesitant to let go of my sugar. Being diabetic, do you use artificial sweeteners? You may be able to help with this aspect of things. Every little bit helps.

(BTW, being "too old" must be my latest excuse for not staying with the program)

Everwild said...

Hmm, I still have 40 lbs to go. I could certainly get into this; maybe if I worked with a whole year, the FMS symptoms I can't control wouldn't interfere so much.