Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dress up that boring chicken

We all know that baked chicken is healthier than that yummy, crumbly, fried Southern delight. Sometimes plain baked chicken is just not that tasty. You can, of course, crush up potato chips/crisps to use as a coating and then bake your chicken. While this is really tasty and is flour free, it does add quite a bit of salt and oil, depending on the chips/crisps that you use.

Since most of us want more control in our cooking, I decided to zip up my chicken by using gluten free (since I don't do flours of any kind) cracker crumbs. I use Mary's Gone Crackers, that I get at my super market.

These crackers are not what you are used to. They are very thin and very crisp and probably an acquired taste. When you are going flour free, your search for more natural products may include some pretty gnarly tasting food stuffs. I tried these without much hope, but quickly realized that these rustic little crackers are really pretty good.

I crushed about 6-7 crackers in a plastic food storage bag, using a juice glass. I use a plastic bag, because you can see which pieces need more crushing, but you certainly can be more earth friendly and use a paper bag. I then rinsed off my boneless chicken pieces, making sure the water was shaken off good and put each piece singly into the crumbs and shook to coat. You know, just like that fancy name-brand stuff where you shake and then bake.

I baked them at 350 degrees for about 17 minutes and they were so yummy, I was astounded. When doing my research today, I found that Mary has a website and blog. She now carries prepackaged cracker crumbs and I just may order some. In the mean time, this is an excellent replacement for that refined flour, bread crumb mess that you have been using in the past.

Try it, you just might be surprised.

1 comment:

angela recada said...

Sounds like a tasty alternative. Thanks for the info about the crackers - I'll look for them when I go to our co-op next week. Take care, Angela