Sunday, November 1, 2009

Getting back on track

Once a year, my DH and I get first class tickets to fly to California. This is a wonderful way to travel and I'll take five hours in the air over three days on the train, any time. The only problem is on flight snacks. We take off from Virginia and fly on a commuter jet to Atlanta. This flight usually takes about 90 minutes. The attendant brings the snack trolley only once during this time span, but you can depend on at least a soft drink, juice or coffee along with a snack of either chips, pretzels, peanuts or cookies. You can request more if you want to, there is usually plenty.

Then there is the layover in Atlanta, fortunately on the way out there was no extra time to stop for snacks in the airport and we high tailed it to the boarding area. This is the plane that actually has a first class compartment and first class it is. Bottle water waiting at your seat. As soon as you sit down, you are offered a beverage while the rest of the folks are boarding. After take off, when the plane has leveled off, you give your order for the meal. Since we flew early it was breakfast. I chose an omelette. It came with choice of bagel or croissant, with butter/cream cheese and jam. It also included quite a large bowl of fruit and another beverage or two.

As soon as these were consumed and all the dishes returned to the front, the attendant comes back with a hot towel. When she comes back to pick that up she is already taking orders for more beverages. This goes on and on until it is time to buckle up to land.

Upon landing, you usually meet your ride and make the required plans to....yes...go somewhere and eat. It was eat and sightsee and eat and visit and eat and watch TV. On the way home, reverse the trip and you get the same amount of food, usually with a two hour layover in the airport for even more snacks. You get the picture? Is it any wonder that the DH and I gained five pounds each in five days? Yikes.

Well, I got back on track today with fruits and veggies and water and even (drum roll please) twenty minutes on the treadmill. I feel very motivated and not inclined to beat myself up for the weight gain.

So I'm back home and ready to take care of my hubby, myself and my home. It's what I love to do. I am not ashamed at all to say I love being married and doing housework. I have plenty of time to do fun things for myself and I am blessed to no longer have to punch a time clock.

Regarding life and staying healthy and fit... remember that we are all in this together. For me, it's all about building each other up. We don't need any help tearing ourselves down, we're pretty good at that already. I don't blog here about political leanings, or religious beliefs. It's not because I don't have strong convictions. If you know me, you know these things already. I guess what I'm trying to say is this...I never say anything online that I wouldn't say to someone's face. For me blogging is the same as speaking in public and I was raised to be polite and I expect others to be. I hope that's not too much to ask. I made a comment on someone's blog last month, in response to a very rude thing that was said about someone I knew and it set that person's followers on fire. I was called out quite rudely by the blog author and I sent her an e-mail of apology, telling her I was unaware that she and I didn't see eye to eye on allowing rude comments and wished her well and we mutually agreed to withdraw as each other's followers. I then removed the comment (which she didn't have to post in the first place, knowing how inflamed her group would be).

Why am I telling you all this? I'm not sure, I just know that I don't feel bad for limiting myself to positive blogs. I do know that I will be more careful about commenting on blogs that I'm new to. I know there are bullies on blogs. They all seem to have excuses for their behavior. It's not even easy to feel sympathy for someone that is supposedly ill, when they spew hate through comments. Why don't I have sympathy for them? Because they were probably like that before they got sick. Mean people don't become sympathetic in my eyes just because they are sick. They are still mean. I'm a very discerning person and I can recognize evil and I stay away from it.

Well, what started out as a positive post about getting back on track, turned into a rant on mean people.

In any event, I hope you all had a fun weekend and are ready to face the world tomorrow. Raise your face to the sun and feel it's warmth. I know I will.

No comments: