Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I did something today...

I did something today that is such a big step for me I just have to share it. Before you get all excited, and then feel the let down of "is that all?", I must say that it really is one of my stumbling blocks. My husband and I eat large healthy fruit and veggie salads almost daily. I use the bagged salad greens and add grapes, strawberries, and walnuts. For some protein, I add baked chicken breast, cut in to bite size pieces and sometimes a hard cooked egg. Just a tiny bit of shredded cheese tops my salad. Today I splurged and cooked some turkey bacon. Really sounds good doesn't it? All in all, the salad "as is" has a calorie count that is reasonable, maybe even low, but as you know, the main way to turn a healthy raw salad into a calorie ladened monster, is to dump dressing onto it. For me I have always used a salad as a reason to eat buttermilk/ranch dressing. I love the stuff. So now with that background, you will be happy when I tell you that not only did I put my dressing on the side today, I actually found out how tasty the salad was without dressing. I had assumed that it would be dry and crumbly, but it was yummy. I dipped my fork into the dressing several times, but it actually was taking away from the taste of the salad.

So, since I'm up ten plus pounds since I started my blog, I think I'm really ready to make some changes. I can only imagine how many calories I can save in this way. I'm really excited about this breakthrough and wanted to tell someone that understands.

That's it for me. Have a great week and make a healthy change. If I can do it, I know you can.

xoxo
Susan

5 comments:

Sue C said...

hahahaha, Susan, now I'm vindicated. I can't stand the texture/slimyness (I know that's not a word, LOL) of salad dressing of any kind. So, I have never had dressing on my salads and people look at me so oddly. I have to be quite adamant at restaurants, they don't believe me. (I did try the dry ranch 'spices' once and that was interesting ;-p). Thanks for agreeing with me that Salad actually tastes good!!! Smiles

Tina said...

Found a new salad dressing that is calorie free and I'm loving it.
the juice of half a lemon and minced garlic. No oil. flavorful

PeriTheGreat said...

Well well well...after all these years you finally tried "clean" salad! Oh, Sis, I am proud! Try a bit of lemon juice or natural pineapple juice as a dressing--works for me!

Sue C said...

I've left an award on my blog for you: The Sunshine Award for bloggers whose positivity and creativity
inspires others in the blog world, and you do. Smiles and Hugs, Sue C

Genevieve and Aunt Sue said...

This seems like a huge step to me, too. I love bleu cheese salad dressing and I know what you mean about having salad as an excuse to have dressing! Good for you. I'll give that a try too. - Sue