Saturday, January 22, 2011

Let's get moving!

Just a quick post to say that Monday evening is our first weigh in and such for the weight loss competition. I have been doing lots of cardio and weights at the gym and moving whenever I can to "get ready" for this event.  I don't want to be one of those whiny babies that says "I just can't".  As part of our plan, we even went bowling Friday morning after the gym.



Here I am tying up my 48 year old bowling shoes that belonged to my mom.  Yes, we come from a family of bowlers.



And here I am getting ready to get ready to roll.  This picture reminds me of the whispers I heard when I was a little girl.  "Oh, look at her.  What a shame, she has such a pretty face."  I know I'm not the only one that heard these things as a child. Did they think I couldn't hear them, or that I wouldn't be hurt by this?   Another favorite around our house was "she's not fat, she's just solid."  Right...solid fat.  From the second grade on, I was a chubby little girl and my sister and brother were underweight and fairly normal, in that order.  I had various years of a normal sized body, but not that many.  In any event, I will admit that I still have good hair and skin and one might say I still have that "pretty face".  But it is certainly obvious that I can't hide 197 pounds behind a ten pound bowling ball, so I am actually going to lose weight this year.  I would love to lose 50 pounds or more eventually, but right now my goal is 30 pounds.  There is a big (pardon the pun) part of me that just knows that I cannot do it.  I've tried so many times since Mother Nature sent me my mini-paws.  It's just too hard. I know it won't work.  But I have to muzzle that little voice and keep on trying.  I will not stop trying to shed these excess pounds.  Just between you and me, I actually do have a secret goal.  My hubby doesn't usually read this blog and I know my sister won't squeal on me...I want muscles.  You know, those bigger kind that the ladies that lift weight get.  I know it's silly, but I think it would be so cool to actually have muscles that were visible and weren't covered by layers and layers of fat.  It sounds ridiculous when I see it typed out like this, so I guess I'll just settle for "getting stronger", but I would love to wear sleeveless tops again and not have the batwings flapping around when I raise my arm.  Probably realistically, at my age (58) this is a physical impossibility, but there has to be some in-between that I can reach.  Whatever it ends up being, I'm going for it. 

I hope you will join me in my quest for a healthier body.  I think that together...we can do it.

I'll keep you posted, so remember to stay tuned!

4 comments:

Peri said...

Well, I too think having muscles would be cool. Maybe it isn't possible to completely tighten up the wings, but anything would be a help for most of us overweight, over 50 gals! Or over 60, or....
Anywho, bowling it actually a good idea for exercising both arms and legs and so long as you can manage to not fall over, good for stabilizing your balance. Good luck with the weight loss competition. Rooting for you!!

kathyj333 said...

Good for you. I haven't bowled in years.

Tina said...

muscles would be great! I do love to bowl.
T

New Mum Online said...

Good luck for the weigh-in today.

Bowling - gosh, I was on the team at University :-)

Wish we were in the same country so that we could roll a few strikes together X X X (ha ha)

Lisa xxx