Monday, March 28, 2011

No, I didn't fall off the edge...

I'm still hanging in there.  I did have a one pound gain last week, but my measuring tape is still looking very good.  We had a great workout last week running and stopping at different spots on the track to do push ups, crunches and step ups.

I never thought I would be letting a 22 year old girl tell me what to do, but this trainer is just so good that you want to please her.  If I hadn't gotten this gal I would not have known what a jewel a good trainer really is.  Her name is Chelsea and she gets to know her clients and she knows if they are serious about their health and workouts, or if they are just going through the motions.  She doesn't like to hear someone say "I can't" if they just don't want to do something, or if they just think it's going to hurt.  She can read folks really well, and knows that if I stop during an exercise, it's because I really need to stop.  I think her level of confidence is key.  There are some trainers that think that they have to push you beyond your limits to make you realize how out of shape you are and how much you need them.  Not Chelsea, the club did fitness and medical evaluations on us all and she studied them and made a custom plan for each of her teams.  If one team wants to swim she works that into their routine.  If you have some that are scared of bees, she doesn't suggest doing an outside workout.

But even with all this being said, having a great trainer is very important, but working out is not easy.  This has been a gradual process and each workout is hard and sometimes I make myself do it when I don't really want to, I mean after all it is only an hour.  But guess what, I feel so good later in the day, that it really is worth it.  My recovery time has gone from having to lay down when I get home, to actually "shaking it off" and hopping up to do something else.  Bottom line is I have so much more energy, it's almost unbelievable. 

Well, I won't bore you with how great I feel, cause I don't want anyone to be thinking that I think I'm all that because that really isn't the case.  I just feel good.  I'll be 58 in April and other than an occasional aspirin or acid reducer I take no meds. My cholesterol is excellent and my blood pressure is probably perfect.  Stay healthy, guys.  Who knows how long you might have to be around?  It might be like that old saying "If I'd known I would live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself".

Well, the weight loss teams are having a dinner tonight provided by Southern Foods at Home.  We will have to listen to a spiel, but it's free food and a fun get together with like minded folks.  I'll let you know how it is.

Until then, behave and get movin!

1 comment:

Peri said...

Nice post! I used to have a trainer of the second variety you mentioned. Result? I am still over-weight, but now I have issues with shin splints, plantar fascia-itis (don't know if that's the right spelling) and really dislike working out! You really lucked out, I think!
Glad you are in good shape. The trick, though, is staying in good shape once you ended this program you are on. I think you will manage that, though, because you seem so committed to being fit this time. Hang in there!