Saturday, August 15, 2009

Learn to cook

Just a quick post to remind folks that cooking is fun and easy and so worth it. A little meal like this is healthy and almost prepares itself.

The green beans were easy, instead of snapping and stringing, I used canned beans and dumped two large cans in the pot. To this I add 3 beef bullion cubes, and two tablespoons of olive oil. I brought them to a boil, then reduced the heat to about low/medium (3 on my control) cover with the correct sized lid and let them simmer for 1-1/2 hours. (Down here in the South we like stuff cooked a while, none of those crispy green beans for us)



About an hour into the beans cooking, I started on the rest of the meal. The chicken was a snap, also. I always purchase boneless, skinless chicken breast when they are on sale. I freeze them and then the night before a meal I thaw them out in the fridge. There are several ways to thaw chicken, but that's for another post. Anyway, I just put my chicken breasts in a baking pan lined with foil (no clean up much to speak of), squeezed half an orange over the pieces and then shook some seasoning on it. I used lemon-pepper, but you can use almost anything. Baked it uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

While the chicken was cooking, I put a pot of water (seasoned with chicken bullion granules) on to boil. I peeled the new white potatoes using a veggie peeler. I find it is so much easier than a paring knife, as you don't have much waste of the veggie. Sliced them long ways and about 1/4 " thick so they would cook in 20 minutes. (This is how I time everything to be ready at once) When they are done, I drain and mash with a potato masher with a small amount of 2% milk and a bit of trans fat free "butter".

Put it all on a plate with some sliced tomatoes on the side and sliced peaches for dessert and you have a really nice home cooked meal.

Remember not everything has to be completely from scratch to be healthy and if you are intimidated by "home cooking" check out Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade series. She has a television show on the Food Network and several books. She really is good for someone who doesn't know how to cook. If you don't have access to her show, go to YouTube and check out some of the cooking videos, they are so helpful.

Well, that's it for today. Remember to take care of yourself, and stay hydrated. If you aren't able to or just not in the mood for "exercising", do some stretches and deep breathing. You'll be surprised at how much better you will feel.

That's it for now. Remember that I really mean it when I say take care. I do care about you and want you to carve out a little time to take care of yourself, as well as your family.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: