Monday, May 24, 2010

Another week, another chance

I learned to diet when I was 12 years old. That was when it was suddenly noticed that I was too heavy for my age (read no longer cute to be so chubby) and the pediatrician put me on a diet... that included diet pills... diet pills for a seventh grader, sheesh. It's been a life long struggle for me and sometimes I get so tired of having my entire life revolve around my weight. Due to this lifetime of dieting, I tend to evaluate my weight loss program and goals on Mondays. While I'm not gaining, let's say that I'm having limited success losing the 20 pounds that my sister and I are trying to lose together. She was the slim one in the family and doesn't have this particular life experience under her belt, but is now experiencing her own version of "the battle of the bulge". At the risk of sounding like I bounce from one plan (I have tried the above mentioned diet pills, OTC pills, Metracal, Ayds reducing candies, Slim Fast, WW, Atkins, South Beach, Sugar Addicts diet, the 7-up and nabs plan, the hamburger and egg diet, cabbage soup...just to name a few) to another, last week I participated in Karen's "ask the trainers" segment of her blog. Based on what I told them, they confirmed what I have known all along. Strength training. I need to add more strength training to my daily routine. When the experts tell you this, it's a bit different from already knowing what you need to do. Knowing what you need to do and doing it are two different things.

I am also doing some research on Web, MD that is quite motivating. You can get a personalized plan based on a series of questions that you answer. I know that you all must get bored of hearing me talk about losing weight and never losing any. It really is frustrating, especially when you "carry your weight" as well as I do. I am otherwise extremely healthy, take no meds and not to "toot my own horn" still look pretty good. All that being said, I do know I am really going to have to ramp things up a bit.

Wahhh, I want to wave a magic wand or snap my fingers and be slim again. Ahhh, well.

3 comments:

Tina said...

If that wand works, mail it to me so I can take off this last 20.
Blessings,
T

Cindy said...

We only fail when we quit trying. I'm with you in the struggle.

Natalia said...

I can relate! I've done em all too! :) Strength training is so good for you. I've started doing some myself!
Good luck!