Friday, November 5, 2010

It's going quite well....

Wow, I mentioned last time that I had signed up for the gym membership.  Already I have had a blast.  I did Zumba Gold three times this week, swam once and used the bike and treadmill already.  I am not even the slowest person there, as I thought I would be, so it's not intimidating.  It was mentioned to me that this is a family gym and for the most part, the....let us say "overachievers" usually go to Gold's gym and places where weight training is the main focus.  While I look forward to getting to the point of weight training, right now I am enjoying the group classes. 

Zumba Gold  is designed for participants with very little experience exercise (real exercise beginners, so to speak), individuals that have physical limitations or inactive older adults. The system was created to be easier than the basic Zumba (which is very high energy) but just as much fun. The moves have been carefully designed to be easy to follow by individuals of any size or age. In some instances, there are even routines that can be done in a chair or a wheelchair.  Well, don't get me wrong, this is a workout to be sure.  The first time I did it, was also the first time actually teaching it for our instructor, so it took a bit longer than usual, and since I was the only one that showed up for the class, she was quite mindful of my current physical condition. It was like a private session and even though I was quite hot and red faced when we were done, I knew I could do it.  Each class since then has gotten easier to do.  I'm a bit sore, but it feels good to know that exercise is the reason.

Next week they start hoopercize, which I'm pretty sure involves a hula hoop.  I used to be able to hula hoop a little bit, so we'll see how that goes.

So that's it for now.  I hope everyone is feeling good and trying to take care of themselves.  If not, step back, or sit down...and ask yourself why?

1 comment:

Peri said...

Well I am proud that you are continuing with the Zumba! I doubt that I am ready for it, but the country club here offers a basic Zumba, so I may ask about the Zumba Gold since you survived it! See, you are inspirational!! Will keep the fingers and toes crossed for your continuation and hope it leads you to better health and some great fun.