Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Jetsons

Well, we had our first session with the trainer.  The hubby and I had thought that we would be on different teams, but we changed our minds. I'm glad we did.  It was fun working out together.  This morning we met at 8:00 a.m. with the trainer and the other two members of our team.  We seem to be matched up fairly well.  All four of us are in our 50's.  Hubby and I have been in training for these training sessions for several weeks, but our team mates haven't worked out in a while.  Chelsea (our trainer) started us out on the treadmill at an incline of 10 and speed of 2.5.  We did this for six minutes, then lowered the incline and speed for two minutes.  For the last three minutes we went back up to 10 and 2.5.   We then went directly to the elliptical machines and did a similar routine.  This was the first time I had done the elliptical in about three months.  The last time I tried, my knee hurt and I couldn't stay on it at all.  Today...no problem.  I was into it.  Quite honestly, it felt pretty good to not be as challenged as I would have been without being in "training-for-training".  Now this is not to say that I didn't sweat like....like.... well, like something that sweats a bunch.  Because I did. 

Of course, we did some strengthening exercises.  We tossed a six pound medicine ball back and forth twenty times and then we took a giant step back and tossed it to each other twenty more times. We sat down on mats and did sit ups by facing each other, and alternately holding the medicine ball in our hands, sitting up and tossing it to our partner, then they did the same.  So we sat up and tossed to each other for twenty times each.  She also had us put our plump little legs in the air and make an attempt at doing some leg raising crunches.  We all made it through all of this.

At some point she had us do biceps curls and punches with hand weights.  I chose five pounders and toward the end of the second set of 20 reps, of the third routine...I was quite winded.  We did stretches and cool downs and survived.

Back when we were on the elliptical, Chelsea asked if we wanted to participate in the physical challenges that are part of the program.  We decided we did, but we needed a name in order to sign up, so I suggested The Jetsons.  I wanted us to have a team name that was a bit silly, so the other teams wouldn't think we were a threat.  Hopefully, at the end of the program we will be zooming around that gym just like something from the space age. 

Well, that's it for our first training session.  When we weighed in last week, I was 196 pounds.  Our weigh in's will be on Thursdays and even though she hasn't fixed us up with an eating plan, I'm hoping to have dropped a pound or two.

I'll keep you posted.  Gots to go.  Whew, I'm tarred.

2 comments:

New Mum Online said...

best of luck and how lovely to tone with hubby and other matched peops...

Great start to 2011...

Liska x

Peri said...

Well...I am more than impressed..I am astonished! Additionally a bit ashamed...doubt I could have done that workout...I hate medicine balls..don't mind weights though. Not working out but have lost two pounds by better portion control of starches...and parking far away from my destinations. Keep on, Jetsons, I'm rooting for ya!