Thursday, April 7, 2011

Slow and Steady....

Yeah, I know...I know.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?  I'm down one more pound today.  I know that losing slowly is the best thing to do.  It allows me to practice healthy eating and exercising until it becomes second nature.  Since my long range goal is to lose weight and get stronger by the time I hit the big 6-0, I actually still have two years to go.  So even though I really wanted to lose two pounds a week and end up with a 30 pound loss at the end of the weight challenge, I knew that half that was more realistic.  I'm happy to have lost 14 pounds during the competition and another 3-4 prior to that.  During the winter I saw 200 on my scales several times.   If I were 5'9" instead of 5'3" I could have dealt with it, but 200 pounds on this short little frame was a bit uncomfortable.

I'm still working out twice a week with the trainer and I mentioned that I felt like I needed more core work.  Take my advice, never, ever, EVER, tell your trainer to give you more core work. We had to balance on the bosu balls and do crunches and since my butt is as round as the ball, I kept rollling off of the thing.  I rolled completely off and felt like a little turtle with its' legs wiggling about. Took two of them to right me.

Anyway, today we walked the crazy incline machine until I thought my lungs would burst into flames and we did a kettlebell circuit routine, combined with laps. (Kettlebells, I just love these little buggars. Check them out if you havent).  When working out, it does seem like for a very short period of time, during every session, I think "I'm going to stop, I can't do this". But I don't and I always feel so good afterward.  During laps I may slow down to a walk and start up again with a jog, or on the treadmill I take down the resistance or speed, but I try to never just quit.  This is working for me.  My hubby, on the other hand, is so strong that he usually stays with the resistance and speed on the machines and usually does extra laps while we are finishing up ours. That works for him.  My point being, know your own limits.  Push them if you can do so safely, but otherwise better safe than sorry.

I hope everyone is tuning up for a beautiful spring. My plan for spring?  I want to try to eliminate something unhealthy from my regimine every day. How about you?  Let's add more movement.  Thirty second exercises are a great place to start.  Calf raises and wall pushups will help more than you ever imagined.  Just remember, that there is something that you can do.  If you are extremely out of shape, start slowly.  Try to walk a bit.  It's a good place to start.  If you are not mobile, check to see if there are any of these seated exercises that you can do.  You will feel better.  I promise.

Well, that's it for me today.  Happy and getting healthier every day.  Oh, by the way, I'm wearing a pair of size 16 jeans today, with no MUFFIN TOP!  Sometimes it's the little goals that mean the most.

Later.

4 comments:

how to oil paint said...

I like your blog!...Daniel

Peri said...

Sounds as if you are doing really well. To lose 14 pounds is not easy. Will be more difficult to keep off 14 than to lose the next 16? After all, the books all say that losing is the easy part. Is it true? If you eliminate all the stuff from your regimen that is NOT good for you..like cutting back on exercising and having an extra ice cream during the week, would that be the reason. Don't know, just asking, because I don't understand how maintaining a weight is harder than losing. So good luck. We are all hoping you manage to lose those final 16 anyway and keep them off. BTW, what size jeans did you used to wear?

Susan said...

Hey Peri, I was wearing size 18 stretch jeans and apparently I had stretched those bad boys to the limit, because I can still wear them. Since I still have a bunch to lose, I'm not into the maintenance mind set yet, but hubby soon will be and we will see how that goes. I know from personal experience that I have certain foods that make me gain weight and ice cream is one of them. Now I wait until the night after weigh in to have my ice cream treat. The cutting back on exercising is the scary part. Can I keep my weight off and not work out five days a week? Do I even want to? I do know that until I lose more fat, I wont be able to see any muscle definition anyway, so I'm concentrating on cardio which really helps melt that fat off, in my case. None of it has been easy, but it feels so good afterwards. Thanks for the support. Love ya!

New Mum Online said...

Hi, was so so lovely to hear from you. I am wearing size 18 jeans today with a huge muffin top. xxxx