Monday, December 29, 2008

Whew, glad that's over...

As some of you know, I did a little rant about the holidays. Well, we had a very nice Christmas. We visited some friends and some came by our place. I was the classic enabler all week long, in that I baked homemade cinnamon rolls and repeatedly convinced myself and my hubby that "just one more" would be OK.

I sometimes don't realize how much what I do and say affects my hubby. When we met twenty one years ago, we both weighed the same. He at 5'9" was way too thin, me at 5'4" was a little thin for my frame, but still pretty good. I decided that I needed to fatten him up and in the process and over a period of 20 years, we are both fattened up quite a bit. He had a very physically demanding job (building houses) and was able to burn off lots of extra calories. Over the years, his job has changed several times, quitting the construction business to devote more time to his music and then he went back to school and got a degree in computers. My weight went up as his did, but now for the first time ever, he outweighs me by eight to ten pounds.

As you know, sitting at a computer doesn't burn a lot of calories and now that I am home full time, we are just not active enough. We aren't runners or hikers and we don't have a dog or any children to run after, and we have just settled in more than in our younger days.

The title of my blog here is "Let's lose the weight this year" and I still think it's a great title. I think we, as life long dieters, think things should happen faster than they do. That's why I am choosing a one year goal for us. I still want to lose weight, but I really do want to make some life changes that will lead to better aging and staying healthier in general.

Sorry for this super long post, what I really wanted to tell you is that I came across a cookbook by Prevention magazine that is so good. It is called Eat Up and Slim Down. It uses real food and gives you tools to decide what eating plan is best for you. This led me back to Prevention's web page, which has all kinds of good ideas on it.

I will be using some of the new recipes in this book (which I got at the library) and implementing better portion control into my meals. We eat in front of the television in the living room and that's probably not going to change. For this reason, portions that are dished up in the kitchen have to be reasonable. If we want seconds, you have to go back to the kitchen and get our own. This can sometimes be a bit embarrassing, so I am hoping proper portion control will show us how much too much we were eating.

The other thing I am going to try to do, is not be a slave to the scales. This is really difficult for me, but I think it is important to, at least, try.

So, if you want to call these resolutions, feel free. I think setting and working on achieving goals is a very important part of a healthy lifestyle.

That's it for now, I may be back later with a New Year's post, but if not, take care and stay safe.

6 comments:

Tina said...

Happy Early New Year to you, my dear. I just spent some time looking at your other blog and am hooked. I added that one to my link list as well. We are artists seem to be drawn to one another and I really like your art expressions. I'll visit as often as I do this blog.
Blessings
T

Anonymous said...

This is my first time visiting your blog and I love your post today. Actually, the title of your blog really caught my eye. I am in the same boat, have gained and lost the same 25 pounds several times and I know that I have to get a rhythm that works for me. I am going to pick up that book. Thanks for the tip and Happy New Year.

LeAnn:)

cherokeefox said...

Glad to hear you are going to continue your diet into 2009. I guess I am also a lifelong dieter. Always thinking about everything that goes into my mouth. I am holding at 175 and won't give up. I have to get on some kind of exercise program. Sitting at a desk all day is the pits but maybe some stair stepping or treadmilling will help counteract it and get my metabolism going. Happy New Year and good luck.

Raggedy Angel said...

Hey...I am so glad you stopped by my blog. I am going to start Weight Watchers on Tuesday...I am hauling around an extra 30 pounds that needs to go!
Love your drawings!
Beth

Poppy said...

I have stopped in a few times on and off hoping and checking to see that things are going well for you. I thought I would start off the week walking first thing in the morning. I have so much to loose that for now I just will thing about getting moving and home your inspiration and motivation will help me as well.

Thanks for blogging, I am on board for losing weight this year too.

Jill in Florida

nycenoelle said...

Well thank you for the encouraging words and of course I appreciate the support. I read you're post and as I read I thought of how special you must be to have freinds to share the holidays with! Sounds like you had fun. ;)