Friday, February 27, 2009

Fiber in a pot

Good day, all. I just realized that I haven't been posting pictures on this blog. Duh, what is wrong with me? I have a good digital camera and take pictures of everything. Today's picture is "fiber in a pot".


I don't know about you, but in my house with both the hubby and I moving towards the second half of our century mark, we need more fiber in our diets. Back in the "olden" days, my grandma called it roughage and it sounded horrible to me. I now realize that fiber just might be the "end all, cure all" in nutrition.

So many foods are good sources of fiber that I won't take the time to mention them today. I am going to go on and on about how much I like soup. My hubby likes his vegetable beef soup in a tomato base. I used lots of fresh, organic veggies in both of these soups, but I also added frozen spinach to my chicken vegetable with barley soup. Just for good measure I tossed in a handful of barley to his soup, also. Both of these soups are so tasty and are warm and comforting. No sugar, no flour either. I will toast some yummy Ezekiel bread and follow it up with some fresh fruit (if we have room).

Well, that's it for today. Need more fiber? Make a pot of vegetable soup. Take care and enjoy.

2 comments:

cherokeefox said...

This looks great! It has been a coon's age since I have made a big pot of soup. I think I will this next weekend. What is Ezekiel bread? Sounds good. I'm guessing its flour free...so I am up to try it. My grandmother called it roughage too. She was always cooking and canning. Her and my grandfather had a huge garden and canned everything. Her specialty was soup. She was a lifetime member of Weight Watchers. She could always come up with new and original recipes for all of us. We didn't know they were "diet" dishes until we got to be in our teens and needed to lose weight too. She put my sister and I on WW and we both lost a lot of weight one summer. We had such a good summer that year.

Karyn said...

I always have a pot of vegetable soup in the fridge.....great lunch (or supper).